Monday, April 23, 2012

Pottery: Wabi Sabi

Wabi Sabi is a Japanese term for finding beauty in imperfection, and that is how I feel about these new bowls that I have made. They are not perfect but just looking at them makes me happy.  One of the great things about pottery is that you are never sure what your outcome is at the end. You throw the clay on the wheel and hope you can center it, sometimes it works and sometimes it is frustrating, then you hope for an easy smooth pull up and no air bubbles in the clay. You hope that it does not dry too much before you trim it the way you like, You hope that there is no cracks after you take it out of the kiln. You hope the glaze you have picked actually turns out like the sample, and so many other hopes that if I mention them all this post can get to be too long. So in order not to have anger and possibly a cry fest when you see your final result you have to not have any expectations, just enjoy what you have and appreciate the process. And that is a Wabi Sabi life, I mean bowl.

P.S. See my wabi sabi cup here.

No comments:

Post a Comment